Thursday 14 July 2011

Post 7 - A look into my Cube (Sneak Peek)

The reason why i decided to make a yugioh cube, was that I was simply tired of creating a deck based on what cards i have at my house, at my friends, or that was cheap in the local card stores. A few posts ago,  I mentioned how my friends were getting into MtG, which that phase didn't last long. However, the two weeks where the MtG craze lead me to this idea of a cube for yugioh. returning to the present, I noticed that i have enough cards to make a cube, without having to throw crap in as filler.



mtgsalvation.com is my new favorite site to got to when figuring out how i should make my deck. This article by Mark Oberdies is one of my personal favorites, and is something I go back to when making changes to my cube. In the article he poses these questions to fellow cube-builders, and i will decide to answer them in the bold blue as usual
  • How big should I make my cube?
A standard cube in Magic has a minimum of 360 cards (45 cards each for an 8 person draft) while the "standard number" is 410 cards (i believe it's 50 cards per 5 colors, 50 lands, 60 gold cards, 50 artifacts).

My cube is build to support a 12-person draft, but I would like to have extra cards just so I don't have the advantage of knowing what is exactly in the draft.

Number of cards in my cube = 40 cards per person X 12 person draft + 20 extra cards = 500 Card Cube
  • Should I build a "standard" cube or a themed cube of some kind?
If people do ever start making YGO cubes, i really wish people would make theme cubes (Dark-Only, Beast only, Cards-used-by-Yugi-in-the-anime only). Alas, until i could balance out my attribute deck (DARK is frickin broke)...

My cube is "standard", A.K.A. filled with power cards
  • What type of environment am I trying to create?
My group of friends love power, they love seeing the tide of game turn with one card (within reason, my cube does not have Raigeki, Harpie's feather duster, or Chaos Emperor Dragon) so many banned cards are available in my cube. The goal of my cube is for players to win anyway they want to win
  • What types of decks and archetypes am I going to support?
My cube does NOT support archetypes, per say. You won't be building a Gladiator Beast deck, A Six Samurai Deck, etc. However, if archetype you mean Aggro, then you have Mage Powers and 1900 beaters at your disposal. You want hand advantage? Pot of Greed says hi. Stall? Level Limit Area B, Gravity Bind, Threatening Roar and Waboku's, among others. Burn? Magic Cylinder, Just desserts, Dimension Wall. Field Control? Dark Hole and Heavy Storm are in my cube. My cube attempts to satisfy any playstyle.
  • Am I going to create a "banned" list for the cube for any reason? If so, what are those reasons?
In my honest opinion, a "banned" card would be something that isn't in the cube. It would be too long to type out all the "banned" cards, but you get a picture
  • How good do I want to make aggro? Mid-range? Control?
As much as I personally hate aggro, and how people warned me not to put too much beatsticks into the cube, Aggro wins games. The balance is there, however. If aggro wins games, than the lack of control will make you lose it.
  • Am I going to include cards for nostalgia's sake?
Remember MtG has that rotation format where only the recent sets are legal. However if you look at the code to where the card came from, a lot of my cards are from the first 3-4 years of yugioh.

So this is my Yugioh cube in a heartbeat. Now People might be asking to see what's exactly in my cube. Maybe i'll release my cube list later...ahah

No comments:

Post a Comment