Monday 11 July 2011

Post 1 - Gleaming the (Millenium) Cube

As an avid casual yugioh player, I cannot help but to notice how stale casual yugioh gets. Think about it; you are playing the same cards, following the same rule-sets, building decks following the same ban-list (curse you ban-list for killing my Blackwing deck), playing the same people over and over. I've only been back from my recent hiatus for about a month, and I am already planning to quit at the end of summer.

Rewind two years ago. I was in grade 10, and I was considering quitting yugioh for good (which started my 18-month hiatus ending December 2010). A couple of my friends picked up the card game Magic: The Gathering as a fun alternative to yugioh. Due to the blessing of the internet, I instinctively searched up the rules of MtG on Google to learn more about the rules. That (crappy) article found on Wikipedia led me to this realization:

There was more than one way to play card games.


Rochester. Draft. Sealed. Two-Headed Dragon. Planechase. Winston. Highlander. Magic: the Gathering has different ways to play a card game out of the same set of cards. Heck, I found a game format that combined MtG with Monopoly (I have that page Favorited on my web browser, to this day I still don't understand how to play). Through all these different game formats, there was one word that changed how I wanted to play Yu-Gi-Oh!

Cube.

Tired of using the same old cards over and over again? Like many formats inspired by MtG, every game with the Cube uses different cards. Tired of the ban list dictating the meta? You build your own meta within your cube.

By now you may be asking, "What exactly is a cube?" According to this link, "A cube is a large pool of cards selected for the purposes of limited (A format where you choose cards out of a limited card pool to make your deck). It should should contain at least 360 cards so that you can support a standard eight-player booster draft. The actual selection of the cards will depend on the feel that you want games of your cube to have." The beauty of this format is that the creator of the cube dictates how the duels are going to play out. You want a meta where the strongest monsters win duels? Fill up your cube with Gene Warped Werewolf/Mage Power-esque cards. You want a meta based on the DARK attribute? Fill up your cube with Dark Illusion/Dark Armed Dragon/The Dark Creator-esque cards. You want a meta where people use cards that no one will ever use? Gift Cards/Shapesnatch-esque cards go into your cube. In short, you choose what's going into the cube.

These next posts in this blog will support how different formats in Magic: the Gathering could work in also Yu-Gi-Oh!. Many of these formats are specifically made for the Cube, so hopefully you would have some sort of interest to try this format.

No comments:

Post a Comment